Thursday, December 15, 2011

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Fishing Machine!


Huge bass caught with 6 lb. test crappie rig, fished from Tarpon 140 kayak.  Fish pulled me and I went for a little ride, that's why the line did not break and I was able to tire out the fish.  Fish caught and released from Lake Wilson.


Nice slab crappie caught from the Tarpon 140 at Buckhorn Reservoir.


Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140, 14' dedicated fishing kayak.  This one is a 2006-2007 model.

Wilderness System Tarpon 140 sit-on-top kayak.


Kayak is modified with an Eagle fish finder, rudder system, and night light.


Fishing with her dad in a small pond on the Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140.

I purchased this item used for about $750.  The new one are going for around $1,000.  This is a 14' kayak that is fast, stable, and a dedicated fishing machine.  I have taken it out in the sound, open ocean, small rivers, and lakes.  It is heavy and mine weighs over 60 lbs.  It is not stable enough to stand up in, unless you add some type of out-rigger system.  It is extremely hard to tip over unless you're caught sideways on a wave.  Due to it's length, it is not as maneuverable in tight spots.  The length does make it go fast and it glides effortlessly.

My Tarpon is outfitted with a rudder system.  This will help keep the kayak tracking in heavy winds.  The kayak has a dry storage compartment in the front, and a couple of small storage pockets in the cockpit and rear as well.  It has ample room for tackle or a milk crate in the back.  The front has criss cross bungees to carry extra gear in the front.  This one has three rod holders, and also has an anchoring system.  I would recommend just using a pole anchor if you're fishing in 5' or less of water....it will be faster and simpler than deploying a mini-claw anchor.

The reason I have a little trailer for this thing is because it's heavy, I fish alone and don't want to lift it over my head.  I've built a little carrier that straps on the back.  It allows me to carry the entire system by grabbing the handle in the front.  I've pulled it onto soft sand with at least 50 lbs. of gear in it with no problem.  I made my own carrier out of conduit and inflatable tires from Northern Tools.  The reviews on most kayak carriers is terrible and I wanted something dependable....so make it yourself.

It is incredible how many large fish you will catch out of the kayak because it is silent.  It does not spook fish like a trolling motor or anything else.  It was incredible to get a little ride out of a big bass that was pulling me around the lake.  I was holding on for dear life with my crappie pole and 6 lb. test. 

I attribute landing that nice bass and not breaking the line due to catching it in the kayak.  If I were in a boat, the line would have definitely broke.  Kayak fishing is hot right now.  You will be able to go places that boats can't go.  It's amazing how much water you can cover in a fast yak, and it's good exercise.

This is an excellent dedicated fishing machine.  You will need to put scupper plugs in the holes to keep dry.  I used some pipe insulation foam with plastic from Lowes to plug up the holes.  When my daughter was 8 she could sit in my lap and we'd go fish together with no problem.  This is an excellent product.

The only thing I didn't like about it was the front rubber cover to the dry storage was not that great.

No comments:

Post a Comment